In Weverton, Maryland, near the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, is a piece of land long owned by the Philbrick and Armstrong families that is ideally suited to welcome those who most deserve healing and respite — America’s veterans and their families.
A project of the Lone Survivor Foundation, the Terra Firma Retreat Center will be a facility for military veterans and their families who are learning to cope with life on the other side of trauma. Providing therapeutic tools and education, Lone Survivor Foundation will utilize the Terra Firma Retreat Center to guide veterans and their families along the path of healing from their visible and invisible wounds from combat trauma.
Those dealing with primary and secondary PTSD, mild Traumatic Brain Injuries, and other chronic issues will learn life-changing tools to help them return to the fuller lives they once knew. And perhaps most importantly, they will learn that they are not alone…that others share their experience and that their sacrifice is recognized and appreciated by a grateful nation.
Our veterans know that their survival in wartime depended on being able to trust their brothers and sisters in arms. At Terra Firma, we will help them realize that there is a network of people they can still rely on to be there for them, even in the worst of times.
The proposed Terra Firma Retreat Center is:
- Conveniently located with three major airports within an hour’s drive.
- Easily accessible by Amtrak and MARC train.
- Strategically located near Washington, DC (the Pentagon, the CIA, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and more.)
- Nestled in the heart of American history near Harpers Ferry, Antietam and Gettysburg.
- Steps away from the Appalachian Trail and the C&O Canal National Park.
- Located within a short drive of restaurants and other amenities.
Want to get involved and find out how you can support this worthwhile project?
Reach out and join the many others that are already partnering with us.